Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Perth To Margaret River

The road to Margaret River leads through Bunbury and Busselton. At 1841 meters, Busselton boast the longest wooden jetty in the Southern Hemisphere. Strangley, I can find no record of a Northern Hemisphere town that feels the need to make the parallel claim.

Margaret River is known for producing wine and surf. The car allows me to stay in a hostel by the beach, ten kilometers from the town itself. The swell is good and surfers use every last moment in the day.

I see a bit of the surrounding area the next day. Mammoth Cave, south of town, contains fossils that are more than 35000 years old. I buy a ticket from one of them and have a look.

I meet Tim, a psychologist from Melbourne, in the hostel common area where is taking refuge from a row with his girlfriend. We sit together so that it is less obvious that we are each drinking a bottle of wine alone and he helps me with something that I am trying to write.

Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home