Saturday, January 28, 2006

Albany

Apparently Albany is the longest continuous settlement in Western Australia. I just learned this now as I sit down to write X days later. Unlike Busselton, they are not in your face with the trivialities there. Note that X is known but withheld from the reader as it is sufficiently large to create doubt on how well I could possibly recall that which I describe below.

Again, it’s good to have a car as the town’s attractions are scattered. Adrian arrives from Denmark that evening and pushes the pace of our agenda over the next two days.

We check out the whaling station that saw to the death of seven thousand whales. It has been closed for years, now killing nothing but visitors spirits. If you are find yourself faced with the task of dismembering a whale, I am happy to dispense my now expert-level advice. Before you start, be sure that you have one of these on hand.

The town jetty (of unremarkable length) is heavily touristed by pelicans. I find their appearance to be delightfully ridiculous. They seem to be able to detect this and usually stalk off in a huff. I was of two minds regarding whether to mock them here, but I ultimately realize that they are free to start their own blog dedicated to making fun of me. Sorry, Pinocchio!

Stony Hill offers some amazing views if you are willing to do a bit of scrambling. The Gap and the Natural Bridge are impressive too. All three serve as reminders that Australians aren’t the type to waste a lot of time choosing a name for something.

The highlight is Two Peoples Bay for obvious reasons.

My driving clearly makes Adrian nervous. Perhaps I spend too much time talking about my apprehension over roundabouts and my tendency to look the wrong way at intersections. It also doesn’t help that I turn on the wipers whenever I try to indicate the direction of a turn. He takes to carefully monitoring the match between the speedometer and the posted limits. It is probably good that at least one of us is doing that.

The hostel offers free cake and two-for-one beer coupons, both of which are fully subscribed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Steve, would you live there? Is Perth really so bad? If I had a job opportunity teaching nursing and doing reasearch at Edith Cowan University, should I take it?
Ah, forget it, who needs the sun anyway....
Wanda

Tue Jan 31, 07:31:00 PM PST  
Blogger Steve said...

I wouldn't take it as I not qualified to teach nursing and would likely be fired after a few years. As for you, I would not dismiss it out of hand. Perth is not the most exciting place in the world, but overall it is quite nice. It is clean, safe, has nice beaches and there are some great places in the surrounding area that you can hit for a day or a weekend visit. Perhaps you should do some reconnaissance...

Wed Feb 01, 09:09:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home