Monday, June 05, 2006

Belfast

In Belfast, a week went by very suddenly.

I rent a car and set out for Giant’s Causeway. The distances are small but the progress is slow as the narrow road is littered with tiny towns.

I stop at the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge. In the past, the rope bridge enabled locals to access a superior fishing spot. Now it is the only place in Northern Ireland where you have to stand in line.

There, I meet an American teaching in Belfast. She says that she is planning to move to Vancouver if they “put another Bush in there.” She takes this picture while I explain how Al Gore is going to own the summer of 2006. The words please her but do not convince her. Note that I did not turn the conversation to politics, though I confess that the opportunity did not have to be offered twice.

Giant’s Causeway is an area of interlocking hexagonal basaltic columns. Maybe it is best if you just look at the pictures. This link will take you to an explanation of how the site formed, as understood by some eminent scienticians and geogolists.

Don't tell me it's a worthy cause,
No cause could be so worthy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Captain Beefheart said...

Pardon me, but are you any relation to the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Mon Jun 05, 02:19:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home